Friday, April 15, 2011

My Talk on Obedience

I was chatting with a friend on FB the other day and we got to talking about our recent moves,  and our new wards in church and such and was reminded that I never posted the talk that I gave in late February. I like to have record things that I have spoken on for when I compile this blog into a book at the end of the year so if you want to read it feel free. It is mostly just my notes rather than all written out word for word.So just note it is NOT by any means spell checked or my complete thoughts written down. It is just the notes I took while writing my talk to give me something to go on while I was up front speaking. 



Talk on Obedience:
Introduction of us as a couple. . .

Nephi’s Courage (Children’s songbook)

Oft times our obedience to the commandments of God becomes the very armor that protects us from evil (see Ephesians 6:11–17; D&C 27:15)

There are a lot of different levels of obedience or reasons why we choose to obey and some of those are:
  • First we are obedient because we want a blessing.
  • Second maybe we fear we will lose the blessing.
  • Third is simply out of duty.
  • And the fourth reason to be obedient is for the love of the person that asked us to do it. In this case being Heavenly Father

  • First we are obedient because we want a blessing.
I think the easiest one for me to understand is when we are obedient we receive a blessing. In the Book of Mormon, Lehi was teaching his sons and he said:
…And if it so be that they shall keep his commandments they shall be blessed upon the face of this land, and there shall be none to molest them, nor to take away the land of their inheritance; and they shall dwell safely forever. (2 Nephi 1:9)
So when we are obedient to the laws of God and keep His commandments, God has a blessing promised to us in return for each act of obedience. And it may be that we say our prayers daily, or partake of the sacrament, attend church, obey the word of wisdom. These commandments help us to keep the Spirit of the Lord with us and those of the things that come from it.
This same advice has been given to us by modern day prophets.
“By following the rules,” said President Packer, “you will never make a serious mistake … either while you are on your mission or thereafter without being warned. You will never take the wrong road, you will never go around the wrong bend, or make the wrong decision without your having been warned. That pattern is the pattern of the Latter-day Saint. You were confirmed a member of the Church, and you had conferred upon you the gift of the Holy Ghost to be a guide and a companion to you.” 
So when we are obedient to the laws of God and keep His commandments, God has a blessing promised to us in return for each act of obedience. And it may be that we say our prayers daily, or partake of the sacrament, attend church, obey the word of wisdom. These commandments help us to keep the Spirit of the Lord with us and those of the things that come from it.
 
  • Second maybe we fear we will lose the blessing.
Think about our traffic laws. Do you obey the traffic laws because I love WA or is it because you don’t want to part with your $?
What about the things Heavenly Father asks us to do. Do you obey him because you love him or do you obey because you don’t want to schedule a visit with the bishop?
Think of a rear view mirror. If you’re driving along and you run a red light you automatically look in the rear view mirror to see if the police are following. But if you are choosing the right you don’t have to worry about it. You can keep on driving along and enjoy the music. I don’t want to spend my life having to look back in the rear view mirror.

I like the quote that someone has said I don’t know who but it said, “It is better to obey commandments because we fear punishment than to not obey them at all. But we will be much happier if we obey God because we love Him and want to obey Him.” (“Obedience”, Gospel Principles, Chapter 35)
 
  • Third is simply out of duty.
Jury duty, a church calling, PTO position. Do you fulfill those responsibilities because you love to do it or is it because you feel responsible while others are counting on you.

  • And the fourth reason to be obedient is for the love of the person that asked us to do it. In this case being Heavenly Father
I can see this concept with my children. When I ask them to do something I want them to obey. When they don’t do what I ask or put it off until they are good and ready to listen I get frustrated and impatient with them. But when they do what I ask I am so much happier and I am willing to give them more opportunities for fun things. So what does Heavenly Father think of me when he asks me to do something?
Any kind of board game Monopoly rules for the game. It is always fun to go past GO and $200. But there are things in the game that are not so fun such as paying property taxes, income tax, getting sent to jail and so on but there are rules and part of the game. You can try to cheat in a board game and get away with it but there is no cheating in the game of real life.
“From where the sun now stands I will fight no more forever”-Chief Joseph
I’d like to change that to, “From where the sun now stands I will sin no more forever.”
There comes a time in your life that you decide enough is enough and you either do what’s right or you don’t. I like to ask myself. Do I play church or do I really live the Gospel? So do I live the Gospel, obey and choose the right or you am I just playing church?

No comments: