Friday, August 12, 2011

Catching Up

It has been a busy month here at the Glenn's. We have been painting and re-siding the back of our house amongst other things. So glad I am not the one doing all the work but it is still tough. It seems like my days are spent running errands back and forth from Lowe's, watching kids, and coordinating meals while at the same time still planning for and attending our ward camp out,  women retreat, and other events. And all this while breastfeeding a newborn and chasing down 2 toddlers of my own. Lets just say the house work is suffering. But that will all have to wait.

Lots has happened in the last couple weeks and I needed to write it all down before I forget the details and got caught up in the big events of Ethan starting pre-school and sending my first born to KINDERGARTEN! AAAHHH!

We bought a new computer! No more worrying about the computer crashing and me loosing all my pictures again. Our old one was dying 1-2 times per day and was on its last leg. This one is so much faster and I can now use all my Adobe Creative Suite 3 programs to their full potential! Yay!

Kiera, Emma and I had a girls night out all to ourselves.  It was a lot of fun and included some very overdue haircuts for both Kiera and I. Post for that coming up soon.

The kids and I took a day trip to Jetty Island and played at the beach this past Tuesday. The weather wasn't the greatest but at least it wasn't raining. Besides who says you can't play on the beach in a jacket? We still had fun and it was the kid's first time riding a ferry. They thought that was the coolest thing. But the next time we go we're definitely taking daddy with us. Mommy struggled a bit trying to carry the two beach bags of stuff, carrying baby Emma, AND wrangling two others on her own. The last straw was as we were heading back to the car and Ethan said, "mommy I need to go potty." So thankful for friends we met there! Here's a few shots of that trip:





Well I decided I'd give you a sneak peek on some of the house improvements so far. I don't want to show you the finished product until it is all done. But I will show you what I did with the light fixtures.

The light fixtures on the house used to be brass. YUCK! You all know how much  I like brass. I was in no way going to put those things back on the house after we did all that work of repainting. It ALL needed an upgrade. However, all my trips to Lowes have been draining the pocket book pretty fast and watching all that money float away made the idea of purchasing new fixtures less than desirable. So I decided to DIY and give the existing fixtures a makeover. 

Here's what I did:
First I took apart the pieces and removed all the glass, then I took a wire brush and scraped all the gunk and dirt off, and roughed up the brass a little to prep it for painting.
 I then gave all the pieces a couple coats (drying time in between) of white Rustoleum enamel spray paint.
Don't they look better already?

Then I cleaned all the glass pieces with Windex, touched up a few spots and reassembled the fixtures. And Wha La! As good as new!
The neighbors even commented on how they liked our new lights. And what's even better is I only spent $3.98 on the can of spray paint for all three lights! Oh and I used the same can on the numbers for our address. Can't wait to show you!

1 comment:

SparkE said...

Beaches are fun even without the sun! Thanks for meeting up with us! The Light and house color look great! Can't wait to see it all in person!