Sunday, January 31, 2010

Organization! New Craft Room Shelves.

For those of you who have been at my house before know that I have a deep dark secret. No, it's not that kind of secret. It's not really all that bad of a secret but it is one of those things that has been bugging me FOREVER!

One of the bedrooms in our house is designated as Mom's Craft Room. (I have no intention of giving up the space either). Somehow it has also been dubbed the dumping ground for all things without a home. Grrr. How does that happen? Does anyone else have this problem? Anyways, this month my project has been to do something about the clutter. I mean, come on! How can one expect to be creative in an environment like this?
 
In this picture you can probably see some of my works in progress. For example, the red thing in the middle is the top half of my red recliner that is STILL waiting for me to finish the bottom half.  I really need to get that done! And my Jerusalem painting is still sitting on the easel waiting for me to put the last finishing touches on it so it can hang above the fireplace.
And who can sew in these conditions?
 
I will say that it didn't look this bad until we started building the shelves and needed somewhere to set things but it was still BAD!
A few patch jobs later...This is what we built...
 
All we did was cut some plywood on our table saw and router the bottom edges. There wasn't quite enough storage space, and it looked a little boring to me so I decided to add some cube shelving in there as well. Here is a picture of it before it was painted. I'll post more finished pictures when I get the chance.

The room is sooo much better now! I can actually work on things now and can find what I am looking for. WOW! We also plan on adding one or two more shelves to the other side of the room, putting some white peg board underneath to hang my set of tools, And eventually making a special rack to hang the rolls of vinyl for the vinyl cutter. It will be awesome! But first we need to remedy the issue with the kid's room. Our little Ethan has outgrown the crib. Bunk beds and toy shelves are in the works as we speak.

4 comments:

Xazmin said...

LUCKY! I want shelves!

Heidi said...

your before pictures look just like my "craft room" haha...glad to know it's not just our house!

Anonymous said...

I'm working on a craft room too (well, I'm SUPPOSED to be working on a craft room - started it, but haven't worked on it lately) and I love seeing all the ideas. The cubes are great!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

So I'm not the only one. ;) Good shelves/storage make such a difference. I think you'll love your new spot! :) I'm visiting from Sarah's Before and After party. Hope you'll stop by my blog. :)