Monday, January 25, 2010

XOXOX blocks



I don't do a whole lot for Valentine's Day. Personally I think it is a silly holiday. I'd much rather show my love all year long with words, actions, and things other than chocolate, candy hearts, and a card. But the other day I was at my local Craft Mart just browsing for fun. I didn't buy anything but I saw some blocks in the window that just shouted at me. I thought, "I can do that!" SO I did!

I cut up a 2x6 that was sitting in our garage rafters since we moved in. I cut five pieces at 7.5" long, and sanded them with the belt sander.

The next day I got out the paint. I used some left over paint from a couple other projects we've done in the past. (Check those posts out Here and Here.) One can of paint was left here with the house for wall touch ups and the other is one we got at walmart called "va va voom red." I painted the outsides of the blocks white and let it dry. Then I painted the inside rectangle with a couple coats of the red. This is what it looked like. Notice the flaws in the board? Not a big deal, it give it character.

As I let that all dry, I printed out five x's and five o's with my vinyl cutter. One "x" and one"o" for each each board.

Doesn't it always seem the paint takes way to long to dry? Especially when you are excited for the finished product! I put all the letters on and wha la! I really like how they turned out! I plan on putting them up on the half wall that divides my living room and family room. What's great is that you can see it from both sides! One says xoxox and the other is oxoxo. Way cute and the best part....It was FREE! How's that for crafting on a budget?


Here's Another look at the finished product...I just put those fake rose petals around it for fun. I also think this project could be done in so many fun ways. Just think, you could modge podge different fun papers on for the background and die cut letters in a coordinating paper. Or you could change the colors of the paint to include pink and red, add glitter, maybe some raffia tied around a couple of the letters, make it say "I luv U" or "Love" with a heart for the 5th block. So many possibilities! If you do make some I'd love to see what you come up with. Have fun, and Happy Heart Day!

6 comments:

Mandy Beyeler said...

this is way cute! if you don't mind I'll stick it on my blog - I know I was doing a "Take-a-Look Tuesday" but I don't want to wait until next Tuesday, it's too cute! Thanks for sharing! - Mandy (oh, and I have the same background as you for my family blog - small world in the blogsphere)

One Cheap B*tch said...

I "xoxo" your blocks! =) Seriously they are great and don't you love using stuff you already have on hand?!

anne @ Floralshowers Craft Blog said...

These are very cute! I love blocks! =)

Lianna Knight said...

I have some old left over wood in our garage...I JUST might break out the saw and sander today :0)

You can view my DIY project here...
http://bethouaknight.blogspot.com/2010/01/no-more-of-loo.html

Xazmin said...

These are so stinkin' cute! I wanna make some XOXO blocks now!!

Anonymous said...

I still haven't finished all my Valentine projects, but now I want to add these to the list. So cute!