Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend. Rain Rain GO AWAY!

This is sort of a long post but I hope you enjoy laughing at my expense anyway.

Yesterday Dan got off work just a tad early so that we could go camping before the "real" Memorial Day weekend rush hit. I spent ALL day packing and let me tell you that is NOT an easy feat with two toddlers and a newborn pulling and spinning circles around you all day. But I somehow managed. The weather forecast was not promising by any means, but we decided to go for it regardless. We decided that if we waited for the weather to get nice we may not EVER get the chance to go. When is Spring going to decide to stick around?! It's almost June and it is still acting like winter around here!

Anyway, we got everything in the car and were off. I don't know how long it took us to get to the campground but it wasn't too long. The kids didn't have the chance to get restless, which was nice. We chose the Verlot Campground off of the Mountain Loop Highway. We were practically the only people there besides the camp host and one other. It was so nice. Tonight I'm sure is a different story though because every camp spot had a reserved sign on it for the 27th. We may not have had a reservation but the "first come, first serve" sure worked for us this time.

The rain actually held off pretty well for us that evening. We roasted polish hot dogs on the fire and made s'mores. Dan picked up some strawberry flavored marshmallows and they made some AWESOME s'mores! Especially when I am the kind who likes mine without the chocolate (I know, I know, don't judge).  But we probably shouldn't have let the kids have more than 2 because their night kept on going, if you know what I mean. But hey at least they had fun.

My night however, was horrible. It was Fffffffrreeeezing! It would have been fine but I was so worried about keeping Emma warm that I couldn't stay tucked away in my sleeping bag. I tried having Emma in the sack with me but she wouldn't have it. Then on top of that our air mattress decided to retire on us. Within 30 mins of laying down, I ended up touching the ground on all parts of my body. And let me tell you...These hips weren't having that. I gave up.

I went to the other tent where Dan, Kiera, and Ethan were sleeping and got the car keys. I slept in the drivers seat pushed all the way back, and leaned as far back as the food gear behind me would allow. Emma was finally satisfied in the upright cradle position and I drifted off a couple times. But let me tell you...there is something about car seats that my body doesn't like for sleeping because, when I woke up for the 3rd, 4th and 12th times in the night my feet and legs were asleep. It HURT! And then Emma sleeping on my right arm caused that limb to go numb as well. Ugh. But at least Emma slept well.

It rained all night. It was sort of creepy sleeping in the car alone, in the middle of nowhere, listening to the pud pud pud of every drop on the car top. Surrounded by towering green giants, dressed in their green coats of moss, swaying in the wind, reaching out to grab me...zzzz... Brittany wake up! Sorry, where was I?

Oh yes, morning finally came and it was still raining. Great! Especially when your car is no longer big enough to fit your canopy AND your family of the now 5. Soggy pancakes and bacon it is! It was a good thing we were the only ones there because I sent the kids to eat their breakfast underneath the bathroom overhang. By the end of breakfast the kids were telling us they wanted to go home.

"I'm right there with you guys!" Oops did I just say that out loud? Who planned this trip anyway. :)

We broke camp and literally stuffed all the wet gear in the trunk. Sorry there are no pictures of our camping adventure. There is something about the rain and hauling your almost 3 month old around that does something to always occupy both hands.

We headed home and what do you know? The rain stopped! Are you serious? Ok maybe this trip didn't have to end so soon. We decided to take a scenic drive and see what else we could see. The view was gorgeous! We had everything from, Gray and rainy, to sunny with blue sky, to...

Snow? See what I mean about spring? Just kidding this was at the top of Mt. Pilchuck. Where are your snowshoes when you need them?
We drove until we couldn't anymore because we ran out of cleared road. The kids wanted to get out so we got out and played in it for a little. Well, Dad and the kids went and played in it. Emma and I stayed in the car. It was short lived though, because we weren't exactly dressed for snow. It was fun while it lasted.



We drove back down the mountain and stopped along the way so I could get some pictures of the scenery that had caught my eye on the way up. Just beautiful! And probably the one thing in nature that actually causes me to cry. These pictures don't do justice.








Thank you sunshine for coming out and letting us enjoy some of the pretty forest. And for allowing us some wonderful family memories.

Hopefully our next trip will be a bit warmer and a lot less wet. But til then I will enjoy my pillow-top mattress. Speaking of which...zzzzz.

No comments: