Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cake Decorating

The other night I taught a cake decorating class for Enrichment night. It was a lot of work to prepare, I stressed about it more than I needed to, and I had fun doing it. My original plan was to (1)teach everyone how to prepare their cakes for frosting, (2)how to apply the frosting without getting crumbs in it, and then (3)I was going to show them a couple techniques of adding decorations. The first two on my list went pretty well but when it came time to actually decorate the cakes is when we had trouble. The frosting was originally going to be from the Albertson's bakery but they wanted like $4.00/lb for it. YIKES! So instead we ended up getting store bought frosting in the plastic jars. It was too liquid and after working with it for awhile it was too warm and turned to goop. The ladies were really good sports and went with the "flow." Everyone said they had fun and they at least learned a few techniques, so I guess it was a success. Here is a picture of the cake I did for my display. I was very pleased with how it turned out and it was hard for me to cut into it later. I think I am going to send it to work with Dan tomorrow so I don't eat anymore of it. I don't want to loose the biggest looser competition that Dan and I are having.

1 comment:

Jenny-Jenny said...

What a beautiful cake...wish I could have been there.