Friday, March 30, 2012

Front Porch Bench


I am so proud of myself! I pulled off a woodworking project on my own last weekend. I built a bench for my front porch! I ripped all the wood on the table saw, I cut the boards to length on the miter saw and I even used the band saw to cut out a portion of the arm rests. I think the only help from Dan was helping me pull through 4 of my boards on the table saw since the blade was a bit dull. I then used the cordless drill and pre-drilled all the holes for my screws to go in. (I figured that one out after cracking 4 of my boards!)

Now I am just waiting for some warmer weather so I can do the finish work on it. I haven't decided exactly how I am going to finish it but I am thinking about staining it the charcoal color that I will be using on the back deck later this summer. I used the plans from Ana White and modified it using some left over 2X10 boards we had laying around from a past project. I ripped them down so they would work as the 2X3's the plans called for. I then used a couple ripped 1X10's for the seat slats. I figure they are strong enough especially with the support beams on the bottom.

So we're just waiting for the weather to get in gear and warm up already! It was beautiful last weekend. I don't know what happen. It especially stinks because our furnace's hot surface ignitor burnt out last night and I have had to resort to space heaters and the fireplace to keep everything warm in here. Emma is still in her footed pj's and the kids are cuddled under a blanket while watching a movie. 63 degrees inside is not cutting it for me.

I went and picked up the part we need at a heating supply store today and am hoping my handy man of a husband can figure it out. I've found some really awesome tutorial videos on You Tube so I don't think it will be a problem, its just annoying.

Speaking of annoying... this cold/cough I have picked up. I was down for the count yesterday. I still went to Zumba that night (call me CRAZY) thinking I could sweat it out and today I am feeling a little better but I sound horrible. I better get over it quick since next week is my birthday trip to Portland to see 'Wicked' with the hubs while grandma and grandpa watch the kiddos overnight. So excited!

2 comments:

SparkE said...

Looks Awesome!! It'll be great for sitting on and watching the kids ride their bikes in the summer!

Kate @ craftwhatever said...

Hi Brittany! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for Sunshine Blogger Award over on my blog! I found your blog recently and have really enjoyed reading here. Thought I'd share the love with this little award!

http://www.craftwhatever.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunshine-award-for-moi.html

Awesome job on the bench! It is going to be beautiful when you finish it...but I do think it looks like a lot you've accomplished already!