Monday, September 14, 2009

Canning Again...Didn't I just get done saying I was finished?

My task of canning, that I thought I was finally done with has suddenly returned. I was able to get some golden apples the other day. An entire apple box full for $14. And I also got another half box of peaches for $7. I finished canning 7 more quarts of peaches and froze the rest as peach cobbler. The apples still have a bit more ripening to do before I get to those to make more applesauce but it is coming along. There is something so satisfying about canning. It is a lot of work but in the end it is soooo worth it! With all the food storage that I have been able to put up this Fall, I don't think I will have to buy any veggies or fruit for a VERY long time.

The other day I was talking with one of my friends on our way home from the gym. I told her what I had been up to lately and mentioned my canning. She commented that not very many people do that anymore and that it is becoming a lost art. She also said that she would have no idea where to begin. I offered to teach her if she ever wanted to learn how. I know that I am grateful to know how to do this. The food is so much better than store bought (I think), it saves me a lot of money in the end, and gives me the peace of mind that I have food for my family if any happened and we couldn't go out to buy food. Just like crafts, it too is another thing that makes me happy.

1 comment:

Anna R said...

I agree...canning is a lot of work, but I'm glad I've re-learned how to do it. There's nothing better than opening up a jar of peaches in the middle of winter when no fresh fruit is available or affordable (let alone tastes good).