Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Trip to Victoria, BC

For my birthday Dan and I took a trip to Victoria, BC. My mom came up from Boise with my little sister and they stayed and watched the kids for us. It was very nice to have some alone time together and have a chance to relax. This is a picture of Dan and I on our ferry boat ride up to Victoria. It was a lot like riding a city bus except your seat were in sets of 3 and you faced the other passengers with a table in between. So it was a lot like sitting at a booth in a restaurant, except you got your own individual chair. It took us about 3 hours to get there and we met some interesting people along the way.

This is my first ever customs paper! This was my first time out of the country and hopefully not the last.
Our hotel was great! We stayed at the Inn at Laurel Point which was about a 2 minute walk from the ferry docks. We were able to check in early since we upgraded to a better room that was all ready to go; So we didn't have to lug our bags around with us at all, which was nice. The room was very nice and my favorite part was the bathroom. It was floor to ceiling marble tile with a large soaker tub and more bottles of soap, lotions, and creams than I have ever seen in a hotel room at one time. There were even bath salts and an exfoliating mitt. Another great plus was the bathrobes. They were absolutely heavenly! So so so soft! I wished I could have brought one of those babies home with me. In the end we didn't even have to pay for the upgrade! When we went to check out of the hotel at the end of our stay we noticed they hadn't charged us for the upgrade so we mentioned it to them. In the end they ended up giving it to us for FREE! I guess it pays to be honest "EH"
We had a king sized bed and get this! We were able to sleep snore free! Maybe all Dan needs is a new pillow. It was very comfy.

Our room had a nice balcony and view of the harbor and of the hotel's Japanese gardens. It was great!
We saw lots of sea planes while we were there too. They were constantly coming into the harbor.
There were a bunch of these little trolly boats that took people from one side of the harbor to the other so they didn't have to walk all that way. Aren't they the cutest little things!
We thought it was pretty funny going out to eat at McDonalds. They had what was called a "double big mac." How crazy is that! They didn't taste anything like our regular big macs either. Believe me, we tried one just so we could say we did it.

The highlight of our trip was probably our trip to Adrena Line Ziplines. It was sooo fun! They took us for a 10 minute ATV ride up to the top and we ziplined our way back down on 8 different lines and 2 suspension bridges. It was snowing while we were up there in the tops of the trees so it was pretty cold, but fun none the less. I took a short video of myself going down one of the lines. I hope to get that posted as well.

We also made our way to the famous Buchart Gardens. They were beautiful! We were still there in the off season so not everything was in bloom yet but it was still very pretty. If we ever go again we'll have to plan it for 2 to 3 months later in the year so we can see the rose gardens in bloom.
While we were there it rained a bit but the park had umbrellas everywhere for their visitors. They made for nice photo props too I thought.
On our last day in Victoria we went to the Royal BC museum. It was pretty fascinating. We learned a lot and the exibits were sooo well done! They put the tiniest details into the displays that they didn't look fake or staged at all. Check out the fish market picture below and you'll see what I mean.

After the museum we had planned on taking a walk to another nice park in downtown Victoria but we ran out of time before we had to make our ferry so we took pictures in front of the museum instead. We had our tripod along and I wanted to get some cute couple shots. I think they turned out pretty nice.

Then we headed back to Seattle. The weather was beautiful! I got some shots of the water from the deck of the ferry and a shot or two of some nearby sail boats.
We had lots of fun and hope to do something like this again in the future. When we arrived back in Seattle we got stuck in line for awhile. We soon learned the reason was because someone was arrested and escorted in handcuffs. We watched as they escorted her out. It was interesting and we wish we knew the whole story of why.
Thanks mom and Kayla for staying with the kids! I know they had a lot of fun with you and I am sure you had fun spoiling them as well.

No comments: