Monday, March 2, 2009

Cabinet Doors


Why is it that as soon as you are sure you have baby proofed everything possible, they figure out how to get into something else?

Ok, so I knew I was asking for trouble when we put the movies on an open faced shelf, and I knew we needed to get the door for it put on as soon as possible. But now I have finally had it. I am tired of picking up the movies 5+ times a day that the kids have strewn all over the house. And now Ethan has figured out how to open the movie cases; it is definitely time to do something about this.

That is why on Saturday Dan and I started (or I should say continued progress) on the cabinet doors. We built a DVD/movie shelf for the living room and we were originally going to just stain two 1X6 boards, add some hinges and hardware, and call it good but it just didn't look finished. It looked more like a tall skinny box. The door faces needed some pizaaz.

So on Saturday I took a white grease pencil and drew the lines of the design I wanted and then Dan followed them with our RotoZip/router. It is going to look fabulous! Dan says it reminds him of some of the woodwork you find in the Portland Temple. I will admit it probably isn't as well done as that, but for a first try it does look very nice. I put the first coat of stain on them today and it is now drying in the garage. One more coat and we should be all set!


3 comments:

Jenny-Jenny said...

I want to see pictures of the process! Good Luck!

Kim said...

Lookin' good! You are seriously Martha Stewart- you and Dan can do anything! I can't wait to see how the cabinet looks all finished!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

thanks. We try. If you guys ever need any ideas let us know. I'd be happy to give you a run through or even do a job for you. I am always looking for ways to earn some spending money.