Thursday, July 30, 2009

Home Decor on a Budget.

It has been awhile since my last post. I guess having sick kids doesn't leave much time for other things (beloved blogs included). It also didn't help that after the kids recovered, Dan got sick too, and then me a couple days later. Yuck! Hopefully that is all behind us and we will be able to enjoy our trip to the beach this coming week.

I did however manage to be creative during the sickness slum. I just can't help it! It is who I am. And I LOVE being me!
Last week during the heat wave the kids and I escaped in the air conditioned car and went to Goodwill (One of my favorite places to shop!) and Walmart (another favorite). I found some great treasures and was in heaven! Maybe it was just the air conditioning...NAH I found some great stuff! Check em' out!

two adorable RED kiddie stools
$2.00 each

a 5 strand ivy garland (still had the $29.00 craft store tag)
And I got it for 2.99!


Totally Rad and Totally Red clay pot
I love this jewel!
It was only $4.00!

A random black tray
$1.00

Worn out white shelf
$6.99
Well these things may not look like much to you but to me they are wonderful! Look what happens with a little imagination....

TA DAH!

The ivy and the clay pot now sit atop my plant shelf in the living room.


A fresh coat of black paint, modge podge fabric to the bottom, a little distressing to the edges and wha lah! I intended this for a guest tray to hold extra shampoo, Q-tips and such but it has been adopted as a stuffed animal/doll bed. Hey! Now why didn't I think of that?

A few cans of .98 cent spray paint from walmart and some trinkets I had make for a pretty nice coat rack by the front door. I also spray painted my shoe rack to match. Don't they look great!

The two red kiddie stools are in the kitchen so that Kiera and Ethan have somthing to stand on when they feel inclined to help mommy with dinner or make cookies. I will probably end up stenciling their names on them, cutting their names out in vinyl and having them put their foot prints on them, or something like that....but until then I just wanted to show you that you don't have to spend a whole lot to create something fun and cute. I spent a total of $22.00 at Goodwill and that included two t-shirts that I bought for Ethan for $1.99/each.
Have fun creating!

6 comments:

Jenny-Jenny said...

Wow! Good Work. It really looks great!

Mom said...

You're awesome!

Kim said...

Way to go with the great finds! I love LOVE doing that- making other people's trash my new treasures. My home is full of them... I especially love the tray. I've been wanting to do that so now I've been inspired yet again.

Anonymous said...

Too cute! You did find some good finds! AND you created them into wonderful things!

The Tanks said...

You amaze me...I always wished I could see the "treasure in the trash" and create beautiful things like that, but so far I haven't developed that gene...(I think your mom took it all and then passed it on to you! :)

Your creations are beautiful!

Kate said...

Those are some great finds! I love thrifting!